Episode: 1 Canada East Coast
Title: Nova Scotia
Broadcast: Jan 21st 2017
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane and Scott Taylor
Trevor Cochrane and restaurateur Scott Taylor travel to Pictou, Nova Scotia on Canada’s east coast, its about 1hour and 30 minutes from its capital Halifax, also known as the birth place of New Scotland, with may of the settlers fishermen its no surprise that today Trevor and Scott are in search of some incredible seafood to cook its famous dish… lobster chowder with renowned chef Alain Bosse.
- Atlantic Canadian lobster is Nova Scotia’s number one export, Scott, Trevor and Alain head out by boat to pick a market sized lobster of which ranges from a pound and a quarter to a pound and a half.
- Alain Bosse shares his recipe for lobster chowder, first they cook the lobster in a gallon of boiling water with a cup of salt for 10-12 minuets, then the lobsters are placed into an ice bath to stop the cooking process, the lobsters are then shelled with the veins removed.
- Alain then cooks up a chowder broth with double smoked bacon, potatoes puréed and chunked, basil, chives, a bit of Brie, a little Dijon mustard and some Tidal Bay white wine. Then add rock crab meat, some pre (lightly) sautéed Digby scallops and the prepared lobster meat.
- Add some cream to the mixture and let the chowder simmer, then its time to plate up, paired beautifully with Nova Soctian Tidal Bay appellation white wine.
- The kilted chef Alain Bosse also offers 12-hour food tours, the guided tour includes lobster fishing, a visit to the markets and sourcing other specialty ingredients liked double smoked bacon –each ingredient with its own wonderful story behind it.
For more information:
Destination Canada URL: www.explorecanada.com.au
Air Canada URL: www.aircanada.com.au